Tablet Computer Ownership
So says the Pew Research Center’s Internet & American Life study, as reported in the November 2, 2012 issue of Processor Magazine.
The study’s tablet ownership results are divided into four education groups –
- 7 percent of people who didn’t graduate from high school own a tablet
- 18 percent of high school graduates own a tablet
- 27 percent of adults who attended college own a tablet
- 41 percent of college graduates own one
On a personal note, I think tablet ownership will increase in the coming years. Lots. As Android tablets become more popular, and as Windows 8 tablets gain market share, the competition will drive prices down. And as overall tablet sales increase, manufacturing prices will go down, and market penetration will go up.
Conversations with my customers lead me to believe that the software development tools available to tablet developers are not nearly as powerful or sophisticated as the tools that they’ve used in the Windows environment. If you’re thinking about developing tablet (and smartphone) apps, you might want to start climbing the learning curve earlier rather than later.
– by Al Harberg, the Software Marketing Blog guy